Sunday, 13 January 2008

Weekending on Waiheke (with wine)




Just returned from one of the loveliest places I have ever been to (and that's saying something). Sadly, our digital camera is out of action, so I have to steal photos from promo material:

But it really was that good!! No, it was better!!

The cottage was fantastic, overlooking the sea, facing North (good thing this side of the equator), with the best beach on the island at the bottom of a footpath.

Waiheke Island is a mere 35 minutes by boat from the middle of Auckland, but it might as well be a million miles away - they are that different. It feels more like Tuscany than NZ!

Waiheke is a paradise for bohemians, artists, agriculturalists and viticulturists.

The first person who took professional advice was told that Waiheke was totally unsuitable for growing vines. Thankfully she was headstrong and proved them wrong. Waiheke has numerous boutique vineyards (and olive groves) and produces some of NZ's finest and most celebrated wines (but you'll have to come here to try them - not enough is produced to export it!). As a result, Waiheke has developed a tourist industry based around outdoorsiness, wine and good food.

So we have spent the weekend dipping in and out of the sea, drinking Waiheke wine and eating fantastic food. There is a strong influence from the Mediterranean for both food and wine, but plenty of Asian influence too. All good :) Oh, and sitting in the spa looking out at the view!!

Waiheke should be a definite stop on any NZ visit. No question.

Back to the real world now, and back to work for Will tomorrow after a nice long holiday.

Kirsten

1 comment:

Emily West-Sadler said...

Waikheke looks and sounds wonderful! Definitely going to add it to the list of places to see when I'm in NZ - that list seems to be growing all the time and I haven't even read 1001 things to do in NZ yet, which I'm sure will be totally inspiring. Thanks for leaving it behind.

Hope you get your digital camera fixed.

I've had an interesting weekend, whilst Ben's been off skiing with Rob... Celebrating a colleagues promotion at a Westminster wine bar on Friday. Birthday drinks with Yung at the Bluebird bar last night and today I'm off to the National Gallery for afternoon tea with Rupe. :)

Glad you're having fun and hope Will's first day back after a long break is easy.

Best wishes,

Em x